[plt-scheme] Congratulations

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 31 10:42:48 EDT 2008

Thanks Jos but this is all too much credit to TLL et al.

Based on my experience, the dialog method for learning is great for
the intellectually engaged person, the explorer of ideas, the person
who thinks using ones brain is more fun than anything else in the
world. Hackers, like the people on this list, tend to fall into this
camp, though they are somewhat odd (given my experience with people
in other disciplines who I'd call 'explorers').

It does not seem to work all that great for the majority of standard
students, though. Learning "naturally" fails to bring across why
things work, how things generalize, what matters and in which
contexts it may matter. That's why I wrote HtDP, which is TLL spelled
out slowly and carefully.

-- Matthias