[plt-scheme] Creating a symbolic link for OS X

From: Andrew Reilly (andrew-scheme at areilly.bpc-users.org)
Date: Thu Jul 17 00:12:51 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 05:16:45PM -0700, Gregory Woodhouse wrote:
> This is pretty much a minor annoyance, but with each new version I
> have to go through the same basic process to update my symbolic link /
> usr/local/plt
>
> gregory-woodhouses-computer:/usr/local root# ln -s /Applications/PLT\
> Scheme\ v4.0.2 /usr/local/plt
> gregory-woodhouses-computer:/usr/local root# exit
> exit
> ~:$ which mzscheme
> /usr/local/plt/bin/mzscheme
> ~:$
>
> It would be nice if this could be automated.

Just as another alternative, I get around this by making my
.profile put only the highest version into my $PATH:

PLT="$(/bin/ls -1d /Applications/PLT* | tail -1)"
PATH=....other-paths...:$PLT/bin:...    export PATH

Works a treat.  I just have to remember to restart terminal
sessions after installing the latest version.  So on my system,
"which mzscheme" says:
mzscheme is /Applications/PLT Scheme v4.0.2/bin/mzscheme

Neat, huh?

I can force the use of older versions by using an explicit
path.

Cheers,

Andrew

Posted on the users mailing list.