[plt-scheme] boolean operators on integers

From: Marco Morazan (morazanm at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jul 12 13:16:00 EDT 2008

> Can you explain why you think 0 and 1 should have anything to do with true
> and false? (I am afraid that it somehow slipped into a document that may
> confuse our users and we need to clarify this. -- In centuries past, around
> 1738, people thought that 0 stood for #f and that 1 stood for #t. But this
> pun hasn't been useful to real programmer since then so I don't know where
> one would fine this idea, except in history books.)

No need to insult 18th century thinkers! :-) This concept, I believe,
grew out of the C world view which, of course, is not very useful.

I would suggest, wooks, that you either convert your numbers to
boolean first or directly use booleans and then apply a boolean
operator. The truth be told, I would welcome boolean operators that
require thier arguments to be boolean. It is, at best, confusing to
think that one can, for example, "and" a bunch of integers.

Cheers,

Marco

Posted on the users mailing list.