[plt-scheme] Re: PLT Scheme v4.0.2

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Jul 8 09:09:28 EDT 2008

On Jul  8, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> Did you pick the name "PLT Scheme v4.0.1" when previously installing
> v4.0.1 on the same machine?

Yes, you would need to do that -- and not uninstall 4.0.1 when you
install 4.0.2.  That will make the installer pick up the previous
values when used.  This is, AFAICT, standard practice with NSIS
installers, and the intention is that if you choose an unconventional
directory (for example, "C:\bin\PLT" instead of "C:\Program
Files\PLT"), then when you try to install a newer version it will
default to putting it in the same place.

This is all due to the assumption that you should have a single PLT
installation, and that you upgrade it from release to release.  This
assumption is implemented by using `PLT' in the registry keys.  It is
different for the nightly builds -- in that case, the registry key
will be `PLT-<version>', and that follows the assumption that you
almost always want that in addition to some other version (like the
last stable release).

Another problem with this is that if you run the 4.0.1 uninstaller, it
will read out the registry keys that were overwritten by the 4.0.2
installer, and remove that instead of itself.

So, all of this make it sound like it's better to use a
version-specific key for the start menu directory and for the
installation directory.  (If it was a convenient language, I could
make it remember the base name too, and use that as future defaults,
but the NSIS language is extremely limited and will make such string
manipulation pretty difficult.)