[plt-scheme] One small and one big issue with DrScheme

From: budu (nbuduroi at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 4 10:43:57 EDT 2008

Hi, I'm an occasional DrScheme user (normally I use Emacs) and there
is some little things I don't like about it. One is keyboard
shortcuts, which I never been able to change. I found out recently
about the "Enable keybindings in menus" options, it's great, but I'm
still missing some of my favorite shortcuts, mainly C-j for newline.
Maybe the answer lies into the Help Desk, but it totally confuse me,
it seems like I'm never able to find what I'm searching for.

The bigger issue now is about DrScheme not being as solid as I'd like
it to be. Maybe I'm too much used to Emacs, because when I use its
REPL it never crash no matter what. I've lost some code (without any
importance) this morning because I did try to run a function that
generate an infinite loop and it crashed DrScheme with an out of
memory exception. When considering that this IDE is geared toward
beginners, I find it strange that it can't sustain even a mere
infinite loop. Maybe that's the price to pay for the great debugging
features DrSceme have.

BTW, I'm a little late for this but congratulation to the PLT devs for
version 4, it's a really great release.

Posted on the users mailing list.