[plt-scheme] A first experiment with HTDP

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 1 17:06:57 EDT 2008

On Jul 1, 2008, at 5:04 PM, Marco Morazan wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Matthias Felleisen
> <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 1, 2008, at 4:46 PM, Marco Morazan wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a web
>>> page somewhere that lists companies using HtDP as part of their
>>> training program? It would be very useful to create one if it
>>> does not
>>> already exist.
>>
>> Few companies would want that listed.
>>
>> Just like I am told by some major brand-name commercial Scheme
>> implementors
>> that companies do not want it to be known that they use Scheme for
>> production coding (or anything else).
>
> The irony of reality never fails to amaze me. Scheme (and functional
> languages in general) are good enough to use, but not good enough to
> let it be known that they are used. What a tangled "web" we weave!

Stealth tools. Any competitive advantage for one company is another's
disadvantage,
so their thinking goes.

The contrast to industrial apprenticeships in Germany is truly
striking. There,
Mercedes Benz and BMW and Volkswagen train apprentices in full
knowledge that
these people may end up working for their competitors once they
become masters
or journeymen. The idea is that share industrial knowledge is good
for everyone
involved. Then again, MB sued VW when a Chrysler executive switched
and took some
folders along from Detroit -- at that level, knowledge is probably
much more
leveraged than at the apprentice level. It's all a question of value.

Enough said -- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.