[plt-scheme] cookie path issue in Safari

From: Rob Hunter (rob.hunter at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 31 17:35:36 EST 2008

I'm having an issue with cookies in Safari.  I've implemented a simple
authentication system, and my problem is that in Safari, I'm logged
out after a few (less than 10) requests.  I believe the problem is due
to a bogus "Path" setting in the cookie that I am sending to the
browser.  I'd like to send the path

/

but instead I'm sending

"/"

While Firefox presumably is receiving the quoted path (because the
same code is executed), it doesn't show up quoted when I look at my
cookies in Firefox.  (And, sure enough, Firefox does not exhibit the
symptom.)

I've dug into the code a bit, and the relevant file is
collects/net/cookie-unit.ss.  The function to-rfc2109:value is called
on the path string that I provide, which in turn calls
convert-to-quoted which is responsible for turning my Scheme string
"/" into "\"/\"".  Anyone know what's going on here?  The adding of
the extra quotes seems to be quite intentional, and yet it seems to be
causing problems in Safari.  Is this a Safari bug, perhaps?

Thanks,
Rob

Posted on the users mailing list.