[plt-scheme] The historical role/value of set-car! and set-cdr!

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Sun Jan 27 06:36:24 EST 2008

On CDC6400 I too saw, long ago, a Lisp interpreter entirely written in
assembly code (COMPASS) A line printer listing 2 inches thich. It crashed
from time to time and a user asked me to fix it. Took me several days on a
batch only system, reading lots of octal dumps. I had never heard of Lisp
before. With some DISCIPLINE it is very well possible, though outdated now
by the presence of better tools, to produce neat, well structured and
readable assembly code. COMPASS had a marvelous macro system allowing macros
to produce macros in an almost functional style and therefore allowing
implementation of  (imperative) higher level languages within no time.
DISCIPLINE still is very important, even when using beautifull languages
like Scheme or SML or Haskell. Although the choice of a fine language for
beginners is important, it is not the language that makes a good programmer.
It is discipline that counts. E.g, HtDP is a good example that teaches the
importance of discipline. mho.
Jos