[plt-scheme] The role of contracts in the maintenance and ongoing development of DrScheme

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 25 12:29:42 EST 2008

On Jan 25, 2008, at 11:54 AM, Doug Williams wrote:

> I use contracts extensively in the science collection (which I
> would call a real project - several dozen modules (many thousands
> of lines of code) distributed as a single PLaneT collection).  Some
> contracts are 'expensive' (in terms of computation time), but I
> still include them.  For example, the median function requires a
> sorted vector of real numbers as input and the contract enforces
> that.  I also provide unchecked versions of all of the functions
> (e.g. unchecked-median) that can be called if a user explicitly
> wants to avoid the contract check (and accepts the consequences).
> For example, I call the unchecked versions internally when I know
> the contract will not be violated - typically, because they are
> called from within another function whose contract has been checked.

If the definitions of functions f and g reside in the same module,
there is NO need to call an unchecked version of f from g (or vice
versa). The contract system already does this for you. It trust all
code that lives within the same boundary.

> [Of course, the user can call an unchecked version of that function
> and has explicitly accepted the responsibility of ensuring that
> contract is fulfilled].

This is backwards from how contracts and run-time checking works. Say
a client C uses function f from your module M. If f fails, it is
likely that the error message will blame M for the failure. (We are
working on replacing 'likely' with 'true'.) At least at first glance
the designer of C has no clue that it isn't M's failure. If, however,
you export ONLY f with contracts, the error message is going to blame
C and the designer of C has no choice but to accept the debugging
obligation.

;; ---

We call this the "pressure of the market place" and have wanted to
conduct an experiment along those lines. Alas, it has landed between
cracks.

-- Matthias