Problem with recursion? (was [plt-scheme] Re: Novice, needs help writing function )

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Sun Jan 6 13:46:57 EST 2008

Richard Cobbe wrote:

> One of the major strengths of the HtDP model, IMO, is the emphasis it
> places on examples -- both of data structures and of functions.  Among
> other things, this forces students (and professors, for that matter) to
> approach generalizations from the concrete.  Most of us, myself included,
> aren't so different from the child in the story above in that respect.

I would suggest the opposite -- that HtDP encourages one to develop in
generality, as opposed to just about every other approach, which
presents a bunch of examples and then leaves students to form their own
(possibly imperfect) generalizations. As the book proceeds, fewer
examples are used. Before each of the data definitions for ancestor and
descendant family trees, there is exactly one example. There is no
example presented before the data definition for binary trees. Templates
encourage students to proceed from the general to the specific.

As for the difficulty of recursion, it is not the concrete nature of
data structures that makes recursion on them easier. The non-negative
integers are pretty concrete, also. But students have had much
experience working with the non-negative integers in a non-recursive
fashion, whereas this is not true for lists and trees. This novelty
provides sufficient motivation for recursion, and the substitution model
which needs no change or augmentation to work for recursive functions
provides proper support to understand the mechanism.

I find it amusing that section 9 of HtDP tiptoes into both
self-referential data definitions and recursive functions, whereas
section 8.2 presents a Scheme grammar, naturally self-referential, with
absolutely no fanfare or fuss. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.