Problem with recursion? (was [plt-scheme] Re: Novice needs help writing function )

From: Marco Morazan (morazanm at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 4 18:15:31 EST 2008

OK, how you choose to remember values for the way back from the
recursion is up to you. A stack was my way of describing that
mechanism. Nonetheless, my point was that we need not think about
remembered values. Robby has given you a nice example. It's now up to
you to try writing recursive functions without trying to explicitly
think about remembering values.

The stepper is a wonderful tool if this kind of visualization is
useful to you. I for one try to get students to think about the
problem and, if applicable, the shape of their data and to rely very
little on the stepper.

Cheers,

Marco