Problem with recursion? (was [plt-scheme] Re: Novice needs help writing function )

From: Todd O'Bryan (toddobryan at
Date: Fri Jan 4 12:52:33 EST 2008

I think the key is to teach structural recursion before generative
recursion, as HtDP does. Interestingly, Bruce, Danyluk, and Murtagh
(2005) [1] make the point that teaching structural recursion before
arrays is helpful in an objects-early approach and cite HtDP. Other
papers [2] cite Bruce, but don't mention HtDP, when I think it's clear
that the PLT group can easily lay claim to being in the forefront of
this pedagogical insight.

(this paper is only available in a cached version, but appears to have
been published in OOPSLA 2007)

Posted on the users mailing list.