[plt-scheme] new to programming

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 3 10:42:43 EST 2008

As far as my on-line search capabilities go, the problem doesn't
mention the word "list" anywhere. The word also doesn't show up in
the section that precedes the exercise. (If you believe there is a
flaw in my Safari, would you please send me the sentence that
contains the word "list" ? Thanks)

I assume you mean the part concerning convert-file. It asks you to
create a file, say with Notepad or TextEdit (or even with DrScheme)
or any other text editor that comes with your operating system (Mac,
Windows, Linux). The file should look somewhat like this:

------------------
10 20     30
   22 212     43
  32
------------------

(without dashes) and should have a name such as "in.dat" (without the
quotes) and it should be in the same directory as your program.

Evaluating

  > (convert-file "in.dat" Fahrenheit->Celsius "out.dat")

will then respond with

  true

(if it succeeds) and produce a file called "out.dat" with the above
temperatures converted into Celsius:

100
0

(again, without the dashes).