[plt-scheme] Canonical install procedure for PLT Scheme on Mac OS X 10.4.11?

From: Christopher Rasch (crasch at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 26 01:37:52 EST 2008

I'm a newbie to Scheme in general, and to PLT Scheme in particular.  I'm trying to install DrScheme/MzShcheme, and I
just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Here's the procedure I've followed so far:

* Go to this site:

* Select "Macintosh OS X (PPC)" from the "Platform" pulldown menu.  Click Download. This will download a .dmg file to
your desktop.

* Double click on the plt-372-bin-ppc-osx-mac.dmg file

* With the mouse, copy the folder "PLT Scheme v372 file" to the Applications folder

* From the command line, change the name of the folder from "PLT Scheme v372" to "PLT_Scheme_v372" (I hate spaces in
directory/file names)

* Add the bin directory to my path:

This works, in that it enables the mzscheme interpreter to be found on the command line.  However, it seems like the
files in the bin directory should be installed in a more common location, such as /usr/local/bin.

What's the proper install procedure?  Am I putting things in the correct location?

Thanks for any assistance you may wish to provide.

Posted on the users mailing list.