[plt-scheme] scribble/latex

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Feb 12 16:10:58 EST 2008

On Feb 12, Jakub Piotr C?apa wrote:
> Aleks Bromfield wrote:
> > The Scribble documentation says:
> >
> >   "Scribble is a collection of tools for creating prose documents..."
> >
> > Is Scribble intended to be broadly useful (for things other than PLT
> > libraries)? That is, will it eventually be billed as a LaTeX competitor?
>
> It seams that one could make a LaTeX preprocessor out of it (the
> @-reader could be made into an \-reader).

It can easily do that, for example (which requires the recent svn
snapshot since I fixed a bug in the use-at-readtable function today):

  > (require scribble/reader)
  > (use-at-readtable #:command-char #\\)
  > '\itemize{\item blah blah \item foo bar}
  (itemize item " blah blah " item " foo bar")

> This could greatly simplify writing TeX macros in the short term
> (you could do the API part in Scheme and the implementation part in
> TeX) and lead to a new TeX implementation in the long term.

I'm not following that, but if you're talking about throwing raw tex
code into mzscheme then it requires much more.  The thing about tex is
that you can change how it parses source, and even do that
dynamically.