[plt-scheme] DrScheme interpreter question

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 3 14:12:47 EST 2008

Sorry for the not-so-helpful reply. I should have put 2 and 2 together!

Anyways, you can certain build your own editor. The framework should
make putting together a featureful Scheme editor easy.

Another thing that make sense for your case would be to make a new
language in drscheme that shares some state across invocations of the
program (but say still re-evaluates the function definitions in the
program to try to avoid the "out of sync" problems, if that's
relevant).  DrScheme does this itself, in fact, in order to share the
connection to the underlying GUI system. Does a model like that make
sense for Fluxis?

Robby

On Feb 3, 2008, at 10:49 AM, Dave Griffiths <dave at pawfal.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 10:48 -0500, Matt Jadud wrote:
>> On Feb 3, 2008 10:27 AM, Robby Findler <robby at cs.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>>> This has come up several times now and the short answer is "we
>>> designed DrScheme to not do that because that is fraught with
>>> problems
>>> of inconsistent programs".
>>>
>>> Of course, you can just copy &  paste whatever you want into the
>>> interactions window to get most of that back if you really want to.
>>
>> Hi Robby,
>>
>> Dave may want to expand on this himself... but my suspicion is he is
>> wondering how to more completely integrate Fluxus into DrScheme.
>>
>> http://www.pawfal.org/fluxus/
>>
>> I am guessing that his thought here is that one could be livecoding
>> in
>> DrScheme, and easily re-evaluate the current program within an
>> existing context, so that the state of the livecoding session isn't
>> completely blown every time a few edits are made to the program.
>>
>> However, I'll leave it to Dave to correct me, or agree, or whatever.
>> It might be there's another way to achieve the end he's looking for.
>
> Well, that is it more or less :) This has come up more in the
> context of
> some musical software I've been writing - as you can't use DrScheme
> for
> live coding music, as it breaks the flow every time it re-evaluates.
>
> Having an option for DrScheme would be perfect, but I realise these
> are
> somewhat niche requirements, so my backup plan is to roll my own
> editor
> - I've actually just cobbled something rudimentary together using the
> editor-canvas in about 20 lines!
>
> cheers,
>
> dave

Posted on the users mailing list.