[plt-scheme] Faster CGI

From: Henk Boom (lunarc.lists at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 23 22:32:08 EST 2008

2008/12/10 Eddie Sullivan <eddieSull at hotmail.com>:
> If anybody's interested, I've attached a simple wrapper for the FastCGI C
> library I hacked up when I was first learning Scheme.

Thanks for sharing this. =)

I tried doing something like this myself before you sent that e-mail;
I had just 3 of the fastcgi functions wrapped, enough that I could
output simple requests. It seems to work nicely and quickly.

I'm worried, though, that I'll have the same problem of many instances
running. I'd probably use mod_action in apache to run a common fastcgi
script to handle all .ss files, which would use one instance at low
load. Except, that is, when I'm serving multiple sites. As far as I
can tell there's no way to share a fastcgi instance across multiple
sites served through Apache. This makes me worry that fastcgi won't be
a viable solution for me. I'm still looking into it, though, so
hopefully I can make it work somehow.

Barring that, the only other solution I can think of is separately
running a 'handler' instance of mzscheme which takes requests and
serves responses (through, say, named pipes). Then native cgi
applications would handle communicating with that handler. I'm a
little worried about this approach, though, since it's getting pretty
complex, and it almost feels like implementing an entire new web

Any ideas?

Posted on the users mailing list.