[plt-scheme] Is sharing unit tests for problems in HtDP a good way to facilitate learning?

From: Carl Eastlund (carl.eastlund at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Dec 13 23:41:01 EST 2008

Grant,

That's a generous offer, but students need to learn to write their own
tests.  It's an important skill, and for that reason it's also often a
graded part of the assignment.  On a mailing list, you never know
what's graded and what's not, so it's usually best to point the
student in the right direction, but not contribute any new material to
their work, no matter how innocuous it may seem.

--Carl

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 11:00 PM, Grant Rettke <grettke at acm.org> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Sometimes people post HtDP problems here or to comp.lang.scheme or
> Study-HtDP, and from what I see talking through the problem with
> people is the best approach. Often times, the nudge of "have you
> followed the recipe" is made. Are unit tests and that nudge a good
> combination?
>
> I find them to be a good combination because they reinforce following
> the recipe and give the person something to work with.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Grant

Posted on the users mailing list.