[plt-scheme] [maybe off-topic] The theory of testing

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Sun Aug 24 17:31:44 EDT 2008

In my opinion, HtDP is one of the few books that do integrate specification,
testing and coding. Yet I think that for a substantial software project even
more has to be considered:

1: What are we aiming for? (a questions whose answer usually is not clear at
the very beginning, but should be made clear during the early stages of the
development)
2: A preliminary answer to question 1 (but not yet a complete specification)
3: Feasibility studies: do we have the apropriate algorithms and resources?
Are they sufficient to do the job within constraints of space and time?
4: Repeat 1, 2 and 3 until something like a specification is obtained.
5: Specification includes:
5a: What will the user see: a user manual (in my opinion to be produced
before going on to the steps to follow) The user manual can also be a test
as to whether or not the product will satisfy the expectations of the user.
Let the user judge. If necessary repeat from step 1.
5b: A design (programmers manual): what the programmer has to produce, what
languages and software will be required.
5c: An essential part of the design is a testing suite (both correctness and
measurements of required space and time)
5d: Tests must include normal use but also all situations at the very edge
of the specification (where apropriate, bulk tests included; this may
require the preparation of large data-sets, which have to be designed and
produced too)
6: Although at this point we dont have any working code yet, the project is
almost finished. Your boss may be nervous about the fact that there is
nothing to show working yet, though.
7: Do the coding or have it done by programmers (programming is not the same
as designing)
8: During coding of the product proper and its tests, apply the tests
immediately as far as possible. If the project is well designed, tests can
be applied to separate parts of the project.
9: Deliver: Finished (apart from maintenance)

I followed this procedure for a major file-system project (some decades ago)
I left the project during step 6 (my boss very stressed), but three months
later the product was delivered (the person who did steps 7, 8 and 9, is
stil a good friend of mine). As far as I know only once a bug was found
after delivery (found by myself, identified within 5 minutes and fixed (+
tested and redelivered) within a day) In the above scheme I did not consider
the aspects of costs and deadlines. These aspects may put a great stress on
the correct evolvement of the process (I got engaged in the project after it
was behind schedule by 400% already even without finishing step 1 properly.
Some prestige was involved, therefore costs were not a main issue. The
original deadline was one year. I took 9 months for steps 1-6. The remaining
steps took 3 months: total 1 year when not counting the time wasted before I
got into the project)
Jos