[plt-scheme] about letrec and continuation : which behavior is correct ? and why ?

From: Joe Marshall (jmarshall at alum.mit.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 19 17:48:36 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 7:44 AM, Abdulaziz Ghuloum
<aghuloum at cs.indiana.edu> wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2008, at 7:10 AM, Matthew Flatt wrote:
>
>> The R5RS/R6RS `letrec' is different, and the result with that other
>> `letrec' should be #f:

I've always thought this was a wart in the language.

> An R6RS implementation may (or may not) raise an &assertion when the
> <init> continuation is invoked the second time, right?

Ugh.  That's worse than the SET! expansion.

It seems to me that Matthias's derivation is the `right way' and how
it `should be done'.

The SET! expansion seems way too New Jersey, and just
legislating that `legal programs' aren't allowed to check is
heinous.

(define (foo)
  (if (zero? (modulo (real-time-clock) 2))
      (call/cc list)
      #t))

(letrec ((x (foo)))
   ....)

Now I have a program that's `legal' half the time.

--
~jrm