[plt-scheme] new interactive programming material for beginners

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 14 20:03:01 EDT 2008

Dear PLT Users,

As some of you know, we have been working on a new way of writing
interactive applications, such as games, using just pure functional
programming.  We call this the World style, and it is embodied in the
world.ss Teachpack included in the DrScheme distribution.

style of programming:

  http://world.cs.brown.edu/

There you will find a small booklet introducing the World through an
extended example.  You will also find four more exercises, including
animations showing the different versions of the programs in action.

To support people engaged in self-study, the solutions to some
exercises have no password protection.  Over time we hope to maintain
parity between unprotected and protected material.

Very special thanks to Danny Yoo (WPI) and Zhe Zhang (Brown) for their
work in preparing the solutions and generating the videos, etc.

-----

Do write if you have questions or comments.  If you are writing
off-list, please CC your message to Kathi Fisler (kfisler at cs.wpi.edu)
and Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu) as I will have very
limited email access for the rest of the month.

Enjoy, and welcome to our World!

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.