[plt-scheme] Re: More pedagogic stuff

From: Geoff Knauth (geoff at knauth.org)
Date: Thu Aug 14 03:40:36 EDT 2008

On Aug 13, 2008, at 11:27, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> But if you follow HtDP to its extreme (not in print) you will
> naturally build abstractions (aka frameworks and libraries and
> friends) that make it possible to build even faster than the "quick
> guys" and at least as well.

Just thinking out loud, since I'm at SIGGRAPH, and graphics and movies
are all around.  I'm trying to figure out a way to make a DrScheme
viral video.

To demo HtDP in the extreme, I wonder if we could make a short movie
of an application growing and following the design recipe?  The screen
would show source code as it grows from something really small to
something that accomplishes a goal.  The narrator would represent the
programmer's thoughts.  It would be like watching over the shoulder of
someone who knew what he was doing.

I've seen a video demo on this list:  fluxus [1].  I remember music
and flashing colors.  It reminded me of a little of Processing [2]
(they have an MIT Press book out now), and a little of Gooze [3].  I
would suggest making it less flashy, though, to keep focus on the
code, and state the goal up front.  I like what Benjamin Russell wrote
about getting in a "flow state."  We can help people visualize
themselves being that good.

Geoff

[1] http://www.pawfal.org/fluxus/
[2] http://www.processing.org/