[plt-scheme] Re: More pedagogic stuff

From: Bill (william.wood3 at comcast.net)
Date: Tue Aug 12 15:25:22 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 15:09 -0400, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> P.S. David, I appreciate your Navy experience. I was a paratrooper
> myself. What distinguishes this situation so much from the one in
> school and college is that your life depends on learning and
> performing well. (We lost 10-20% of the "students" in paratrooping
> school due to accidents, some really really bad. Nobody died.)

I think the nature of the subject matter is relevant here.  Matthias'
point is valid when considering jumping out of "perfectly good"
airplanes, but the sight of a manual presenting Ohm's Law with the
preface "The material in this document conforms to Department of the
Army doctrine" gives one pause -- suppose it didn't; would they repeal
the laws of nature?  My training as an electronics technician was fast
and thorough in some sense, but it gave me first-hand experience of the
difference between "education" and "training".

Posted on the users mailing list.