[plt-scheme] Re: More pedagogic stuff

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 12 09:15:36 EDT 2008

Fun is important but the claim of "fun" has been used for two or
three decades to abuse students with Pascal, C/C+, and Java.  Every
organizer, APcrat, teacher asserted in no uncertain tone that
programming in these languages was fun for the students (and implied
that programming in something else wasn't). All we got out of this is
that AP CS AB was cancelled, which I don't mind at all.

The key is to make required, core subjects fun. Functional
programming is mathematics and, if we stay as close as possible to
algebra (conceptually), fun animations can teach algebra, geometry,
pre-calc, mechanics, and possibly more. THAT is the powerful
combination advertised in our column.

-- Matthias

P.S. Replace fun with a suitably popular word for "vocational
motivation" and you get the same situation.

Posted on the users mailing list.