[plt-scheme] Re: More pedagogic stuff

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 11 23:27:43 EDT 2008

I think at some fundamental level we do agree, and they do have a good
book.  But we do also have some points of real disagreement.

For one thing, I think they somewhat conflate the line between
*programming* and programming *languages*.  Also, they have a huge
agenda that is only mildly hidden, which is to promote Mozart/Oz as a
canonical multi-paradigm or post-paradigm language.  [The above two
issues are related.]  My book doesn't have such an agenda: I'm not out
to push any particular language.

Though I don't have a copy at my fingertips, I don't think their
presentation of Erlang, etc., is a real problem.  I believe they meant
to show how to encode those languages, and used those languages as
prototypical examples of disparate points in the design space.  At the
very least, those authors are sharp enough to not make as rudimentary
a logical error as you suggest.

That said, if a professor were to use their book instead of the crappy
ones out there, that would be a great service to their students.

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.