[plt-scheme] Re: Rationale of the object system?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 11 11:31:17 EDT 2008

If you read the paper (and some of the references) you may realize
that PLT Scheme's class library makes it easy to enter if you are a
Java programmer (or C++ to some extent) but then there is lots more
and that the extras aren't as conventional as you may have thought
(based on your original email).

Our class system grew up in parallel to our needs for a GUI system
(wx), which came in C++. The key has always been to introduce
abstractions THAT WE FIND USEFUL and to REDUCE COST where possible.
For example, this suggested a switch from multiple inheritance to
mixins. Your insight of "pay as you go" is correct but as you may
also know, language designers and implementors have struggled with
this guideline for as long as they have designed and implemented
languages.

Finally, coming from Ruby you may find that the warts are gone and
the dynamic nature remains. Ask away when you need help and welcome
aboard. -- Matthias