[plt-scheme] Apparent inconsistencies between original spirit of RnRS and R6RS [Fw: Ann: Sketchy LISP, Third Edition]

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 7 11:36:44 EDT 2008

The responses have been highly informative and have given you more
than you can ask for.

Here are a couple of questions that you might want to ponder:

1. What is a language? What is a library?

2. Is Scheme really a large language?

3. Is the library system designed so that programmers may ignore it?

When you have figured out the answers, you may wish to reflect on the
quote of 'piling features upon features in a language'. I bet you
will be able to reconcile this all on your own.

-- Matthias

P.S. Someone in our department claims that there are between 60 and
80 actively maintained Scheme implementations.

Posted on the users mailing list.