[plt-scheme] V4 request for thoughts on various question

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 3 16:31:38 EDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 9:19 PM, Grant Rettke <grettke at acm.org> wrote:
> When do you use weak hash tables?

When you want some kinda control over memory consumption.  Look at the
writeups for Java weak tables -- it's the same idea.

> When might folks use case-lambda rather than keyword or optional arguments?

When you're writing stuff that exists in the core of PLT Scheme,
before even optional arguments are available (the so called kernel
language).  At least this is the only use case I know of.

> Does anyone use the curried define form?

Yes.  It is a handy shortcut to occasionally use.

> Do folks use values and define-values much, or destructure and use
> lists, match-define or match-let instead?

I use the most direct expression of the solution.  It that means
values, use that.  It it means a structure, use that.

> I don't use structures much, but they seem pretty versatile and
> therefore important; are they?

They are very important -- see HtDP.

N.

Posted on the users mailing list.