[plt-scheme] running an MzScheme debugger in Emacs?

From: Grant Rettke (grettke at acm.org)
Date: Sat Apr 26 09:28:35 EDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 6:09 AM, Benjamin L. Russell
<dekudekuplex at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Page 4 of the Introductory Assignment (http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/psets/ps1/ps1_1.tex) of the Sample Programming Assignments for SICP
> states, "Learning to use the debugging features will save you much grief on later problem sets."

The tools that each individual programmer find valuable, are valuable. Period.

That said, at one point in my life I felt debuggers were critical,
absolutely essential for all programming situations.

These days I only feel like debuggers are critical for at work
maintenance kinds of situations where there is a mix of a lot of code
I didn't write and/or a lot of variables about which no one knows or
understands. The debuggers becomes another of your critical analysis
tools to research "what is going on".

These days, in "learning scenarios", I find that virtually all of the
times that I want to use a debugger it was because I was neither
thoughtful nor methodological in how I wrote the function to begin
with. The times that I do want to use the debugger in said "learning
scenarios" though is to help visualize "what is happening", and paper
just won't cut it.

Posted on the users mailing list.