[plt-scheme] running an MzScheme debugger in Emacs?

From: Dimitris Vyzovitis (vyzo at media.mit.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 25 15:12:07 EDT 2008

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> On Apr 25, 2008, at 1:21 PM, Dimitris Vyzovitis wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> >
> >> -100000000000000000
> >>
> >> Use DrScheme and complain and then help Robby improve it. Especially
> >> you Eli. I am not paying for nothing.
> >>
> >> As an old Emacs-is-everything user, DrScheme is incomparable to
> >> Emacs. Both have advantages and disadvantages. BUT, overall drscheme
> >> is better than Emacs for plt scheme editing and running (unless you
> >> also work at the C level).
> >
> > This is wrong at some many levels.
> > Emacs is not just an editor, it is the shell OS of choice for quite
> > a few
> > people (including me)
>

> Dimitris, you are missing the point. Since I accidentally replied on
> the public list, let me explain.
>
> We -- that is the leaders of PLT -- must 'eat our own dog food.'
> That's an American expression. For the sake of our non-American
> readers: we must use our own tools. Only if we use them will we
> complain and specify improvements and work on them.
>
> I (and nobody else on PLT) wishes to turn DrScheme into an Emacs
> competitor. I do wish to improve it to the point that Scheme-
> primarily programmers will prefer it any time they wish to program in
> Scheme.

Fair enough.
I think a modest goal would be to make it attractive as a
batteries-included system, especially for people new to scheme.
Experienced scheme/lisp programmers are already quite familiar with emacs
and can get around with it (and are unlikely to prefer drscheme anyway :)

-- vyzo

Posted on the users mailing list.