a single text fulfilling mathematical prerequisites for SICP? [Was: Re: [plt-scheme] PLT Scheme and SICP]

From: jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr (jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr)
Date: Mon Apr 21 13:12:42 EDT 2008

Paul A. Steckler comments on:

> Benjamin L. Russell:
>>  I.e., at some point in this proof, there is an "aha!"
>>  moment--a moment in which insight strikes.  The
>>  problem is how to arrive at this "aha! moment"
>>  deterministically, for other problems in SICP
>>  involving creative mathematical proofs as well.

> The problem stated here is equivalent to the problem of getting to
> Carnegie Hall.

Well, Carnegie Hall is located at the corner of 57th Street and Seventh
Avenue in Manhattan.  Buses M5, M6, M7, M30, M57, and M104 stop nearby
according to the information from the Source. Now, if you tell me that
you meant something else, that's OK, I know: you can also take the Subway.
Or a taxi. They know how to get there, since they practice all their lives.

Or, you can also read this paper by Robert Filman:

http://home.comcast.net/~refilman/text/networked/072carnegie-hall.pdf

I am not sure what Filman wanted to say, but at the beginning of this paper
you will find (phrased differently) the "AHA!" moment: "Everything I know
is wrong!".

Jerzy Karczmarczuk

Posted on the users mailing list.