[plt-scheme] Re: a single text fulfilling mathematical prerequisites for SICP?

From: Chris Stephenson (cs at cs.bilgi.edu.tr)
Date: Mon Apr 21 07:01:31 EDT 2008

Benjamin L. Russell wrote:
snip...

> Most important requirement:
>
> * a means of developing creativity for solving
> mathematical proofs, such as Exercise 1.13, where it
> is necessary to prove the following:

unsnip...

"How To Solve It" by G. Polya.

We liked the book so much we named our HtDP based first year curriculum
after it.

And we ask our first year students to read it... It is a math book, but
very relevant. When you read it alongside HtDP all kinds of math/cs
parallels start to form in your mind.

Two of our first year students did a nice seminar on  Polya for the
whole department.

That said, Polya is a meta book, about methods, not details. It doesn't
cover the specific knowledge (integration and differentiation for
example) required to get some of the SICP examples. But it does help you
solve problems, including math proofs.

CS

Posted on the users mailing list.