[plt-scheme] How to write and read structs? Follow-up and fun with modules

From: Phil Rand (philrand at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 30 20:13:14 EDT 2007

Well, that turned out to be more of struggle than I expected.

I wanted to wrap my serializable structs inside a module, but I had
trouble getting the requires and provides working.  My original plan
was to import the serialize library from my module, and re-export it
along with the structs.   A client program would simply import my
module to access everything.  I never got it to work that way, trying
quite a few combinations.  Either I'd get complaints about multiple
definitions, or the client program wouldn't have what it needed.

What finally worked was to import the serialize library in the clients
as well as the module, and to use the (provide (struct ...)) form in
the module to export my structs.  I was surprised the latter worked,
since I used define-serializable-struct rather than define-struct.

Here's my test code.  Improvements welcome.

;; test-mod.ss
(module test-mod mzscheme
  (require (lib "serialize.ss"))

  (provide (struct point (x y)))
  (define-serializable-struct point (x y)))

;; test.scm
(require (lib "serialize.ss")
        "test-mod.ss")

(with-output-to-file "test.txt"
  (lambda () (write
              (list
               (serialize (make-point 0 1))
               (serialize (make-point 1 0)))))
  'replace)
(define (points)
  (let ((serialized '()))
    (with-input-from-file "test.txt"
      (lambda ()
        (set! serialized (read))))
    (map deserialize serialized)))
(map point? (points))

The final (map point? (points)) returns (#t #t), so I claim success.

By the way, this was DrScheme 371, on Mac OSX 10.4.10.