[plt-scheme] refactoring support in DrScheme

From: Stephen De Gabrielle (stephen at degabrielle.name)
Date: Sat Sep 29 11:13:01 EDT 2007

The recent discussion of the IDE features in DrScheme in the saved window
was good and got me thinking about and using the syntax checker and
the module browser.

Syntax checker offers a identifier rename facility.

Do any others exist? I am thinking of things like;

>    - ExtractMethod <http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ExtractMethod> -- make a
>    submethod out of the selected text. If there is already an equivalent
>    method, optionally invoke that instead.
>    - Inline method -- put the invoked code in place of the invocation.
>    This even works for methods in other classes.
>    - Move to component -- move the code for a method to another class
>    and invoke it
> - Kent Beck <http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?KentBeck>

PS it is good to be reminded of simple but incredibly useful things like the
(define ...) button, Show Program Contour, and split.

On 9/28/07, Geoffrey S. Knauth <geoff at knauth.org> wrote:
> On Sep 27, Robby Findler wrote:
> > The module browser has "ignore lib paths" option. Maybe it makes
> > sense to either use that, or to change the module browser to match
> > whatever seems best. Personally, my experience suggests that
> > ignoring lib/planet paths and just do all relative requires will
> > work well. Ie, don't restrict based on dirs.
> I wouldn't mind seeing all the files I require in a module, so long
> as there is an equivalent to Emacs's C-x C-q to toggle the read-only
> state of a tab [buffer].  toggle-read-only helps me not damage code.

Stephen De Gabrielle
s.degabrielle at ucl.ac.uk
Telephone +44 (0)20 7679 5242 (x45242)
Mobile                  079 851 890 45
University College London Interaction Centre
Remax House - 31/32 Alfred Place
London - WC1E 7DP