[plt-scheme] compiling flickr.plt via PLaneT doesn't create a "compiled" directory

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 16 04:23:21 EDT 2007

On 10/15/07, Eric Hanchrow <offby1 at blarg.net> wrote:
> I have a trivial program that uses flickr.plt (attached
>
> ); whenever I run it on a particular box, it takes a _long_ time to
> run.  I suspect it's compiling itself every time I run it (instead of
> what I would expect, which is: it compiles itself just the _first_
> time I run it, and thenceforth it's fast, since it can load the
> already-compiled code).

Flickr.plt has a pretty funky implementation (do read the source
code!)  At macro expansion time it visits the Flickr web site,
extracts the API and then expands into code that implements it.  This
is truly awesome but it does mean it can take some time to compile,
and will fail if you have a proxy.  If you do have a proxy it is a
trivial hack to fix the code.  See this recipe for the general idea:

http://schemecookbook.org/Cookbook/GettingStartedPlanetWithProxy

N.

N.

Posted on the users mailing list.