[plt-scheme] Y combinator

From: Richard Cobbe (cobbe at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 7 23:11:58 EDT 2007

On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 09:04:38PM -0500, Robby Findler wrote:
> It's all standard TeX fonts, right?

Close, but not quite, I think.  Knuth's lambdas aren't as heavy, and they
don't have the big curls on either end.  And his fs and xs have bigger
flares (balls on the ends of the strokes).  It's a bit hard to tell from
the picture, though, and I suspect that tattoos tend to blur the finer
details of most letters.

On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 09:26:25PM -0500, Grant Rettke wrote:

> How do he prettier ones look?

That's a matter for personal taste, of course, but I prefer lambdas that
aren't quite so heavy and have smaller curves at the ends of the longer
stroke.  I agree with Shriram: the ones in the tattoo are pretty ugly, and
they're much too heavy for the rest of the glyphs.

I quite like the Greek letters in Gentium
(http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium).
I doubt this font is well-suited for typesetting math, though.

Richard

Posted on the users mailing list.