[plt-scheme] osx option key

From: Dave Gurnell (d.j.gurnell at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 21 10:13:25 EST 2007

>> Why DrS can use the option key as meta? Is it a limitation from
>> wxWindows, or something else?
>
> It's mostly a matter of what people have asked for and what most
> easily
> fits into the complicated balance of our keyboard mappings. In
> retrospect, figuring out how to make Cmd work as Meta points the
> way to
> using Option as Meta almost as easily. So, we could add that choice.

I think you're right that it would have to an option:

   - on the one hand, Option as Meta seems like precisely the right
choice;
   - on the other hand, Option+letter keys lets you write a lot of greek
     letters and special symbols (including Option-3 for # on UK
keyboards).

On a related note, am I right in saying that Meta-( ought to insert a
pair
of parentheses? If so, Cmd-( doesn't do that on my Mac. I can always use
Esc;( but that's more of a pain to key in.

-- Dave

Posted on the users mailing list.