[plt-scheme] Planned changes for PLT Scheme 4.0

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 18 13:24:17 EST 2007

On 11/18/07, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:

> Objects, inheritance, and overriding work brilliantly for GUI
> programming. Unlike so many problems, you really do want to represent
> something that's essentially physical, and so the object concept works
> as advertised. I think it's no coincidence that OOP was born (in one of
> its instances) in the highly graphical Smalltalk world, and that OOP
> and GUIs became mainstream at the same time.

There's a difference between how you *represent* things and how you
*compose* them.  Objects work great for representing graphical
entities, but I dislike the highly imperative mode of composition.
The preliminary FrTime GUI library, and Flapjax, are an experiment in
how to keep objects but also return to functional composition.

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.