[plt-scheme] Planned changes for PLT Scheme 4.0

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Sun Nov 18 12:11:46 EST 2007

Peter Ivanyi wrote:

> Would you (PLT-Scheme developers) consider updating the GUI part of PLT-Scheme with a
> newer wxWindows?

I know nothing of the pressures and compromises involved in writing real
software used by others, nor of using PLT Scheme for programs longer
than a few hundred lines. But, in poking through the MrEd graphical
toolbox manual, which I've had to do on occasion, it always strikes me
as the most un-PLT part of the distribution. All that inheritance and
overriding! I know that this is the way it is done everywhere else, but
aren't there ideas from FrTime or the rest of the functional world that
would work? Maybe no one has time, and I would accept that as an answer,
but I would like to know if this really is the only practical way to
handle GUIs. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.