[plt-scheme] Fwd: Google's Android Open Handset Alliance Project - $10M in prizes and my first Android app

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 16 11:23:35 EST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 4:16 PM, Paulo J. Matos <pocm at soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> How would you go about doing that? The interface is Java, afaik PLT
> Scheme is not able to call Java yet, right?

I just spent about 30 minutes looking around the Android site.  Here
is what I found out:

 - Android runs a custom VM called Dalvik
 - Dalvik has not been released, though Google claims they will do so
in the future
 - Dalvik is a register based VM
 - Google provides a tool to compile Java bytecode to Dalvik bytecode
 - A read a post suggesting that Dalvik bytecode is just Java bytecode
that is reorganised to reduce memory usage

Therefore, the route to getting Scheme code onto Android is to compile
to Java bytecode.

N.

Posted on the users mailing list.