[plt-scheme] Great books on algorithms?

From: Marco Morazan (morazanm at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 8 11:55:45 EST 2007

On 11/8/07, Grant Rettke <grettke at acm.org> wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2007 9:52 AM, Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> > So we compromise.
>
> We were talking about this at work today, specifically why folks don't
> want to take some time to learn to better understand that which they
> are doing versus "just [barely] making it work".

What fun is there in understanding that which we do? The answer of
many 18-22 years old folk is likely to be none. More and more people
attend college to get a credential (to make more money) and not really
to learn. There is a great deal of just barely doing the minimum to
pass -- please correct me if this is a phenomena only seen in my neck
of the woods! I am not being cynical. I am really concerned about
this. I think a lot of it has to do with the poor preparation of many
students that arrive on our campuses. In this regard, I give HtDP high
marks. It makes important material accessible to these students and
engages them in learning. It also makes the job of those who try to
bring these students up to a higher level much easier and palatible.

Cheers,

Marco

Posted on the users mailing list.