[plt-scheme] Scheme development "good ways"?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed May 30 12:57:31 EDT 2007

On May 26, 2007, at 6:39 PM, Grant Rettke wrote:

> This presentation on Common Lisp
>
> http://norvig.com/luv-slides.ps
>
> Seems to imply that there are some "good ways" to write code.
>
> Do you folks see any value in this document?

I have read the document now. I recognized it half-way through and I
am glad you pointed it out again.

1. There is a lot of good, general advice in there.

2. There is a lot of advice that is specific to Common Lisp and will
be misleading for Scheme programmers.

3. I am surprised that Kent would emphasize "type declares" as much,
after calling me a "static" guy at the last LFP :-) for choosing
Scheme as my basis for publishing. (There is also a hidden response
to our Hygiene paper in there, but hey, this is the early 90s.)

4. There are two or three bullets in there where I had to write
'stupid' in the margin.

5. There are some nuggets in there that I had forgotten.

Read it, ignore the CL aspects of the advice unless you want to
switch back.

It's worth 30 minutes. -- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.