[plt-scheme] Re: Modules, Units, and Classes

From: Grant Rettke (grettke at acm.org)
Date: Mon May 28 22:21:06 EDT 2007

> But now we have obtained permission to defer OO concepts to second year
> and to not use Java at all in the first year. I will use C in the second
> course to illustrate some implementation details, but I will also talk
> about abstract data types and information hiding using MzScheme modules
> and the ability to make structures opaque. I think this is a much more
> natural setting in which to discuss these ideas, and later when students
> learn how to work with classes in imperative OO languages, they will
> have the earlier coverage as a source of conceptual metaphors. --PR

That sounds like a good plan.

My loved school, and my introduction to OO was there, too.

It went something like "Learn C and get comfortable with it." and then
"Here are objects, love them!". It was a bit jarring, at least for me,
as there wasn't much context or background on the  whole approach. On
the other hand, maybe it didn't matter at the time since the more
important thing (pragmatic?) for us was to learn 'things' that would
get us decent jobs.

Posted on the users mailing list.