[plt-scheme] static checking, mrflow?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed May 16 17:15:10 EDT 2007

On May 16, 2007, at 2:48 PM, Robert Nikander wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The one language feature I miss in Scheme is that it doesn't do
> much static (compile time) thinking.  After digging around a
> little, two things piqued my interest: MrFlow and Typed Scheme.
>
> I found some examples of Typed Scheme in it's documentation.

Typed Scheme is an active project. Watch this list for announcements
and requests.

> Are there some similar docs or demos of MrFlow?
> It's page says "coming soon" -- how soon?

For now, you may consider MrFlow an abandoned project. The closest
thing to a "development plan" is Meunier's 2006 POPL paper.

If you really want to play with it, check out the sources in the svn
tree.

> If there are no docs or intro papers, can someone tell me what it
> does, or point to some papers that describe the theory that it
> implements?  Does it subsume the idea of a type system?
>
> Will it infer or allow annotations for function types, like the
> following imagined notation for `map':
>
> map : ('a ... -> 'b) (list 'a) ...
>
> Will it catch this type error?
>
> (map string-append (list "a" "b") (list 1 2))
>
> Or this error?
>
> (map string-append (list "a" "b") (list "1"))

MrFlow is roughly speaking based on 0CFA, so the above errors would
slip thru. -- Matthias