[plt-scheme] Are new Schemers supposed to be reading SRFIs?

From: Grant Rettke (grettke at acm.org)
Date: Thu May 10 19:13:52 EDT 2007

On 5/10/07, John Clements <clements at brinckerhoff.org> wrote:

> On May 10, 2007, at 1:16 PM, Grant Rettke wrote:
> Can you elaborate on "sort of sucks"?  It appears to me that Planet
> solves the distribution problem nicely, in that you can write your
> code against a distribution + a planet lib, send it out to anyone,
> and it runs on their platform, albeit with a possible silent
> download.  Is it this silent download that you object to? Or the
> untrusted nature of the library?

Hi John,

Sorry for the delay, I was busy apologizing to every English teacher
by whom I've ever been taught.

Planet is great, and along with that everyone's contribution to it.

The big problem is knowing what is out there, and what one ought to
use. New folks wonder should they use PLT list.ss or use srfi-1?

Perhaps it would be convenient if the Scheme download "came with
everything out of the box". Perhaps this isn't the culture, though.
Java and .NET are probably the biggest offenders when it comes to
providing *everything*.

Posted on the users mailing list.