[plt-scheme] What is the role of promise and force?

From: Danny Yoo (dyoo at cs.wpi.edu)
Date: Sun May 6 18:21:54 EDT 2007

On Sun, 6 May 2007, Grant Rettke wrote:

> What is the role of promise and force?
>
> This weekend I read the R5RS spec. Before then I hadn't heard anything
> about promise and force, in other words, they don't get blogged about or
> written up much. Why not? Are they important? For what kinds of things
> are they used?

Hi Grant,

Maybe this might help?

http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-24.html#%25_sec_3.5

It's all about streams, which tries to deal with modeling the state of a
system without doing explicit mutation.  A little of the way through the
chapter, it will discuss how we might implement streams by using DELAY and
FORCE as our primitives for implementing streams.

Posted on the users mailing list.