[plt-scheme] Project Euler

From: Geoffrey S. Knauth (geoff at knauth.org)
Date: Sat May 5 21:57:06 EDT 2007

On May 5, 2007, at 19:02, Richard Cleis wrote:
> I am genuinely curious about what makes people want to study CS and
> what they want to do when they are finished.

I was always attracted to programming's neat tricks and gems.  For
20-25 years I wrote adequate programs that solved the problem of the
day for the customer of the day, and then, while I was at BBN, I
realized, while working with Ken Anderson, that I'd missed quite a
lot, and he set me on the road to mend my ways.  I only realized how
limited my knowledge was when I started to tackle bigger problems
than those that are hard for humans but easy for computers.  I began
to appreciate problems that are hard for computers too.

When a computer has to work as hard as a human to solve something
new, there is some spiritual bond with and sympathy for the machine,
at least from the human side.  Someday the machine may return the favor.

Geoffrey S. Knauth | http://knauth.org/gsk

Posted on the users mailing list.