[plt-scheme] Re: Cannot start drscheme

From: Frederik Himpe (fhimpe at telenet.be)
Date: Sun Jun 24 17:03:58 EDT 2007

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 04:46:01 +0800, Matthew Flatt wrote:

> At Sun, 24 Jun 2007 13:38:48 +0000 (UTC), Frederik Himpe wrote:

>> It seems to work with /usr/bin/mred a symlink to /usr/lib/plt/bin/mred,
>> even on x86_64 Mandriva where /usr/lib64/plt is used. So I guess it's
>> not necessary to set PLTHOME in these cases?
>
> PLTHOME isn't used at all by the normal distribution, anymore. A
> re-packaging of the software might use it somehow, but my guess is that
> it's completely ignored.

OK. So this change is fine then.

>> Related to this: Fedora has a patch which they apply to their x86_64
>> package and which fixes lib directory name:

[Patch which uses lib64 instead of lib in setup-extension.ss]

>> Is this patch any good/useful/necessary?
>
> I expect that this patch is still useful and necessary.

Do you know when plt uses this codepath, so I could check what is not
working without this patch?

> I don't know whether it's good; the right way to handle "lib64" versus
> "lib" is still unclear to me, and I welcome advice. Maybe, for example,
> there's some standard environment variable that that
> "setup-extension.ss" should consult?

I'm not sure if there is an easy way to detect it at runtime (at least,
there's not environment variable defining this), but at build time this
is defined in ./configure parameters --libdir=/usr/lib64
--libexecdir=/usr/lib64

--
Frederik Himpe