[plt-scheme] The place of streams?

From: Danny Yoo (dyoo at cs.wpi.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 21 13:35:09 EDT 2007

> I wrote a function that iterates through a list prime numbers until a
> predicate reports true.
>
> My first attempt involves generating the prime list up front, which
> takes a lot of time.

Hi Grant,

There's a section in "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs"
that explicitely uses this example.  You might want to take a peek at:

http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-24.html#call_footnote_Temp_443

Later on in that chapter, they'll repeat this stream of primes example
with a nifty stream version of the "sieve of Eratosthenes".

> It sounds like a stream could be used here, and I wouldn't need to
> rewrite my function.

I think the only thing that might need a change is the use of FIRST/REST
with the equivalent operations for streams.

Posted on the users mailing list.