[plt-scheme] The affect of statically typed languages…

From: Grant Rettke (grettke at acm.org)
Date: Sat Jun 16 12:19:04 EDT 2007

Over the past couple of weeks I've taken a look at OCaml. It was
interesting to see a functional programming language with seemingly
all of the features of Scheme, but including infix notation and static
typing (see *1).

You could spend a lot of time and dare I say have a lot of fun,
utilizing the type system. There are tricky things to do with pattern
matching and/or parametric polymorphism. Folks who started with Java
or C# may be more comfortable with this than Scheme. One thing really
nagged me, though. You get a feeling of being partially overwhelmed by
the potential complexity that you may introduce using the features of
the type system. One may find a similar feeling when working with Java
or C#. That feeling can result in overly tricky implementations that
don't really serve anyone well. The syntax takes some getting used to;
I think that in time it would seem natural. Nonetheless it was
interesting to see how it works.

Is there any work done by folks in the field of psychology on how
programmers choose their programming languages?

Posted on the users mailing list.